With the first bit of color starting to go on the unit hallway walls the Design Committee is starting to hear from more unit owners what we should and shouldn’t do with the design. Please keep in mind that we don’t have even one hallway completely painted yet and you are not seeing the final colors. I have had more people tell me they really like the colors than those that don’t like the colors.
In a condo building with 203 units, we know despite our best efforts we will not please 100% of the unit owners with the design choices. I also want to remind everyone that the Committee was as transparent as we could be -- over the last 11 months we held open Zoom meetings bi-weekly from November to June, minutes were posted on the Tradewinds website, updates were provided at board meetings, multiple email updates were sent, two owner surveys were conducted (one to identify design elements most important to the owners and the other to give a choice in the design theme) and a special owner vote on a presentation package was sent out and approved by 97% of the unit owners that voted on July 10, 2021.
For every element in the design, the Committee (all volunteers) spent hours researching options and discussing the best recommendations to put forward. This was not easy and we spent well over a thousand hours since last October on this. We also had MANY considerations we had to factor into the final design plan. First budget. Then functionality, style, maintenance, owner's preference, potential increases in property values, quality contractors & vendors, availability, and COVID restrictions, code, bylaws, practicality, safety, construction constraints, building manager/maintenance input, board approval and a nod to the future, not just current styles and fads.
The design committee’s charter was to develop a design that was approved by a majority of the unit owners. We accomplished that. Now we are working to implement the plan as approved by the board and unit owners.
I appreciate those unit owners that have reached out to myself or committee members with your questions and concerns and we are doing our best to provide more details on the design and answer your questions. We have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) that are posted on the 2021 Interior Remodel page. Please refer back to these FAQs as they will be updated as the project continues.
For everyone’s reference and a memory refresh, here is the final design that was approved by 127 out of 130 unit owners that voted in the special members meeting on 7/10/21. Tradewinds Coastal Design Theme 06_24_21
Updates for this week:
- We had materials delays for the door headers and trim. The painting crews were able to skip around a bit to keep us on schedule with prepping and cutting in on lower floors. Floors 11 and 12 should be completed with painting by 9/3/21.
- Today the doors on 11 will be painted. The doors will be unlocked TW staff and locked again by TW staff at the end of the day.
- We had to work a bit out of sequence on the painting due to the material delays but next week we will be back to completing all painting floor by floor, starting with floor 10 and working down. Next week floors 9 and 10 will be painted.
- We are still waiting on additional trim for the elevator focal wall. We hope by next Monday the remaining elevator focal wall trim will be added.
- Ceilings are painted on floors 2-11.
- Door trim is completed on floors 3-12. Next week 1-2 should be completed.
- Throughout September, painting will be underway in the unit hallways.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or a Committee member if you have additional questions.
Chair, Tradewinds Interior Design Committee